[uWSGI] uwsgi greenlet and gevent

Damjan Georgievski gdamjan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 03:40:48 CEST 2010

>> --- On Wed, 6/30/10, Roberto De Ioris <roberto at unbit.it> wrote:
>>> Actually uGreen is a lot faster, lighter and portable than
>>> greenlet (and obviously it is perfectly integrated in uWSGI
>>> and with project like psycogreen[1]), but misses the monkey
>>> patching feature of gevent.
>>
>> Roberto,
>>
>> What makes uGreen a lot faster & lighter than greenlet? What are the major differences between the two?
>
> This is the project that give me most of the ideas:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/coev/wiki/VersusGreenlets
>
> In uGreen there is no copy/move of memory and we use the standard swapcontext() functions
> (greenlet implement it with non portable assembly code)

I'm reading on the coev wiki pages now:

""" However, each context uses 2Mb of address space, so running
production apps on AMD64 is essential, as typical x86 machine will run
out of address space (not memory!) at something like 1-2 thousand
contexts. """

Which is exactly the problem we were trying to avoid when using threads.

Does uGreen suffer from the same problem?

--
damjan