[uWSGI] on debian patches

Jorge Gallegos kad at blegh.net
Wed Oct 9 07:02:32 CEST 2013

On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 04:06:54PM +0200, Damjan wrote:
> >first of all thanks for your packaging effort.
> >
> >I think there's a couple of unneeded patches in debian packaging: first
> >is 1004_fix-php-ldflags.patch as (at least here, debian sid) php-config
> >--ldflags already reports the path you are appending. Then
> >1005_emperor-pg-fix-cflags.patch is not needed anymore since the issue
> >has been fixed in 7c31b6657ffdbbbe566822fbcdb6cf2eb4b44026 .
> >
> >Finally 2001_verbose_compilation.patch could possibly be reworked as a
> >--verbose option instead, looking on how arguments are parsed that would
> >be quite painful though.
>
> there are some patches in the Arch package[1] too, I wonder if they
> are needed:
>
> for ex. what does uwsgi_ruby20_compatibility.patch do (it seems
> uwsgi works without it). same for uwsgi_fix_rpath.patch.
>

> Then there's also uwsgi_trick_chroot.patch which makes packaging
> easier since the build step to not try to install the plugins in the
> library dir. perhaps uwsgi needs to make this easier without
> patching.

The Arch ones seem like they got copied from the RPM spec for fedora, which I
wrote. A brief explanation:

 - uwsgi_fix_lua.patch because fedora does not append the version to the
   packaged Lua
 - uwsgi_fix_rpath.patch because fedora frowns on hardcoding paths in
   the binaries: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Beware_of_Rpath
 - uwsgi_ruby20_compatibility.patch because fedora ships with ruby20
   now
 - uwsgi_trick_chroot_rpmbuild.patch for convenience mostly, building
   for i386 and x86_64 poses some problems which I work around by
   tricking the mock build into building it in the current dir, then
   copying to either /usr/lib or /usr/lib64

These all seem fairly fedora specific, which is why they don't make much
sense for other distros like Arch.

Cheers.