[uWSGI] Spooler and mules for cron jobs

Tobia Conforto tobia.conforto at gruppo4.eu
Tue Oct 29 16:25:53 CET 2013

Hi

I'd like to better understand the differences between the spooler and mules.

I have a Python webapp where I need to execute some cron jobs in the background, outside the main workers. I see that I can use the target= argument of the @cron decorator (undocumented, by the way) with a value of "spooler" or "mule".

What's the difference between using the spooler vs. a mule? (or N spooler processes vs. N mules) As far as I can see, the spooler has a directory of tasks, so it can queue a large number of them and the queue survives a restart. With mules, on the other hand, a signal is only answered if there is a free mule when the signal is sent. Is this correct? What happens to a @cron with target=mule if all the mules are busy? Is it just dropped?

Therefore, what is the best way to avoid having two instances of the same cron overlap? Say I have a cron every 10 minutes, but if it takes more than 10 minutes, I don't want a second instance overlapping the first. I can use a numbered mule, dedicated to that cron, so that the signal is dropped if the mule is still busy. Is this correct?

Is there a way to disallow cron overlapping, using the spooler?

Is there a way to give names to the mules? Or are the names fixed to mule1, mule2…?

Thanks,
Tobia